View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Lizard

Default Help with cabinet

Hey all. I was given a treadle machine for my birthday by my mom (actually, I got a couple antique/vintage machines, she's awesome) that looks like it mostly needs a good clean up, and I appear to have everything but the key to it. I've seen some on ebay, are those universal, or no?

Anyway, not my most pressing question. What I'd really like to know is, how do I replace the wooden carving/appliques that are on the drawers of the cabinet? The cabinet has six drawers, all but two are completely intact, one may look a little worn, but I'm ok with that. On the other hand, the two in question are missing the carving things. Not really a huge deal until I realized the carving things also serve as drawer pulls. Now I get why those two drawers are on the bottom, but I would really like to get replacements if I could. Is there anyone out there that produces those, or am I looking at having to have them made?

Last one, any suggestions, do and don'ts for cleaning the machine itself? It still has it's original paint and designs, though they are getting faded, so I'd like to not hurt what's left. The cabinet otherwise has a couple problem areas, but mostly is just dry, dry, dry wood.

Thanks for any help!