View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 AM
frudemoo

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
i have been told that Vaseline will remove marks and rings... (RESEARCH before attempting)
Thanks Steve

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You can try TSP (trisodium phosphate) otherwise known as wood bleach on it. I think it's sold as a deck cleaner. If you use TSP you will most likely have to re-stain the whole piece afterward. Go very light on the sanding. It doesn't take much at all to sand through veneer.
Rodney
That sounds interesting. I heard a little tip about that - related to the fact that our deck needs cleaning - which is that apparently Napisan is the same stuff except that "deck cleaner" is bucket loads more expensive. Still, I'm reluctant to use anything that wets the veneer, as I know how badly that could end....

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Antique stores sell some stuff similar to Old English polish but not oily. It's what they put on antiques to update the finish but not strip and redo the finish. It takes care of alot of flaws and scratches. I bet they have a similar thing in Australia also.
After I started this thread I found Skipper Glenn's cabinet refinishing thread and was intrigued by the mention of this stuff. I'll definitely look into it for the remainder of the cabinet, which is in nowhere near as bad as the top. Thankfully the horrible rings of black sludge sanded right off... but there are dark patches of staining. I don't really mind. I want to use it for sewing so as long as it's smooth and functional, I'll be pretty happy. Also, I'm all for the patina of age and use but not so much for the reminders that someone put it in their shed and treated it like cr@p! Not sure how others view this, but that's my current standpoint. Will definitely load some pics tomorrow. It's been a busy day! Thanks for all your suggestions