View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Quilter 65

I am so excited!! First of all, Brat, hope you are better. Sounds like you have something good to help you heal with that cake.

I had posted this picture with the hourglass block[ATTACH=CONFIG]464361[/ATTACH]and Jan suggested another border between the center and the block. So I auditioned 7 or 8 pieces of green that I had and all of it seemed to dull it down and make it not pop. I kept at it until I decided this light border brightened it up considerably and added 2 finished inches. I thought it was maybe too wide and prominent, but fortunately decided not to cut down until I figured out what I was doing next. Then I decided that the 6" hourglass block was too big and so decided to go with 4". Cut the strips and started in. Made 7 and auditioned them around the light border. Then I decided they were not big enough and I didn't like the look they created. So I ripped them apart and reconfirgured them into this block:[ATTACH=CONFIG]464363[/ATTACH]
Then I decided that 4" wasn't big enough so hit upon idea of sitting them on point so they would have more "presence". So this is what I ended up with. I sure hope you like it. I really do and I learned a ton of stuff. First of all, to those who might think I am a mathematical genius to make this work out, let me assure you this isn't the case, but every once in a while I receive dumb luck. Turned out I had only to trim 1/2 inch total from light border for them to fit perfectly. Then I learned about the corners. Put 4 blocks together differently to get the corner to "flow" from the horizontal to the vertical. Then had 1 "y" seam to deal with on each corner. But it did bring out the green, frame the center, make the first row kind of pop and I am ready for the next row. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it. So ta da, here tis the finished product: [ATTACH=CONFIG]464365[/ATTACH]
Hope it passes inspection, because I don't have the heart or strength to rip any more. I am sure learning a lot, so thank all of you. I am thinking that I will do something on the top and bottom to make it rectangular and to get it to the size it needs to be. Maybe even friendship stars. Those hourglass blocks are pretty flexible I discovered.
Attached Thumbnails 100_3814-small-.jpg   100_3846-small-.jpg   100_3854-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Quilter 65; 02-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.