View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
frudemoo

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Thanks heaps! I also found a bit more info at Worthpoint as well... Now that I know it's made by Haid & Neu, I can find similar machines by Googling which is fun

"1930's 1/2 size Saxonia Hand Crank Sewing Machine was manufactured in Germany by Haid & Neu of Karlsruhe, Durlach, Germany. Although it was made in German it was distributed in the United Kindom by W.J. Harris. This small saxonia style machine has a larger than normal balance wheel with a cut-out in the base to accomodate the larger wheel. This allowed a much smaller machine to have the sewing power of a standard sized machine.

The W. J. Harris company was based in London and distributed sewing machines to retailers all over the country. They never produce any sewing machines by themselves but would 'badged' machines made by many other companies with the Harris name. W.J. Harris sold machines from many German and American makers like Grimme Natalis, Stoewer, Frister & Rossmann, L.O. Dietrich, and the American companies New Home and National/Eldredge. They also sold some Japanese and British made machines. The Company operated from the 1870's until the 1960's."