View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I use my KA to grind up carrots for carrot bread. It's also nice for making a loaf of bread very quickly. I put all dry ingredients in, pulse a few times, then turn it on and add water through the hole on top. For me, the trick is to *not* overmix (stop as soon as ball forms) and to add enough water for a soft, sticky dough; this makes for a tender bread. Too much mixing and it comes out a brick! I let it rise right inside the bowl. When ready, take out, knead slightly, proof, form into a loaf, let rise and bake. It also works great to make topping for apple crisp.

There are only two of us at home now, and I find I do not use the FP for chopping onions, etc. simply because there is not enough to make it worthwhile. I would find the FP essential if cooking daily for 4 people or more, and it's essential for my carrot bread and a few other things, but I don't find it particularly useful when cooking for 2.

Regarding the cut that was mentioned, the blades are extremely sharp and I am always *super* careful when handling them. I can understand how someone could easily get cut.

For soups, it's a lot easier and less messy to use an immersion blender rather than a FP or regular blender.

We buy shredded cheese at Sam's Club and keep it in the freezer until needed.

Mine is a very strong KA that is no longer made. My biggest issue with it is that the plastic parts that supposedly go into the dishwasher become brittle over time and need replacement (pricey). Before the KA I had one of the smaller Cuisinarts for years and it was *perfect* for a loaf of bread; regretted giving it away as I had to change technique and proportions for the much larger KA. If you are making a single loaf of bread, you do not need a huge bowl or motor.

Companies change, so you really need to look at current reviews of brands and models. Amazon is a good place to go for that. I would also recommend not going too big with a FP unless you know you will be using it to can large quantities, chop for large meals, etc. For 2 people, a moderate size can actually be better.