View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Rodney

That is a pretty one. It's in beautiful shape and in a nice walnut stand.

Sad in a way. It's hard for me to explain my thoughts on this but basically we know they most likely won't get anywhere their asking price. We also know what the new modern plastic marvels sell for and which machines are made better-or at least made of better materials. It's pretty impressive what some of the new machines can do pretty much just by touching the screen (pushing an actual physical button is also getting outdated) but will they be around in 50 years? We know the old metal mechanical machines can easily last that much longer. The plastic parts in machines made only 40 or 50 years ago are already getting brittle with age. The same will eventually happen with the new machines too. What would an all metal mechanical machine like the old ones go for if they were being made today? I guess what I'm trying to say is what the market will bear isn't always a true reflection of the value of a machine. The old woodworking machines I also enjoy and many other antiques and vintage items are very much under-valued compared to new items that are made to the same standards.

None of this prevents me from looking for the best deals on vintage and antique items though.
Rodney