View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM
AmyFreeMotionQuilting

Thanks for the link to my blog in the original post! I have used the Gammill Charm quite a bit as I demo'd it at a show for the dealer. It's a fabulous machine and stitches beautifully. BUT. The computer is a bit overkill and it's probably the most expensive option out there for a sit down machine. Yes, it's more complicated to thread, but it gives you much better control over the tension. Once it's threaded, you can tie new thread to the old thread and pull it through to simplify thread changes. It does have a thread break sensor too. I can't afford it though.

I have tried several other options as I quilt for others (for pay) on my Janome 6600. It's a lovely machine, but only 9 inches of throat. I can't fit a longarm in my house or I'd get one. I have been trying to decide whether to move up to the Janome 8200 with 11 inches of throat or something much bigger. I have a size limit of 72x72 right now for customer quilts. Plus these larger sewing machines don't give you the visibilty around the needle that the longarm-type machines do.

I found I don't like the sit down machines that are set perpendicular to the quilter, like the Sweet 16 and several other options. That's my personal preference. I find it disconcerting after years of using a sewing machine. Also, even though there's a lot of throat, if you're pushing the quilt away from you as you stitch, a common movement, the base of the machine is in the way directly behind the needle.

I would love to have the APQS George! A solid longarn design with a parallel orientation to the quilter. Does what you need it to without extra bells an whistles. Plus APQS has a great reputation.

Tin Lizzie/Artistic has a sit down machine in this orientation at a lower price, but I'm not sure about the support and service from the company. Anybody have experience with them?

There's my 2 cents....