Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM
mamaborne

Default Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Just thought I'd update you all on the repair of my Elna which has been frustrating. I've been without a machine for almost a month now. I was just about to finish the binding on my little doll quilt and (@*#&$*&% my Elna just stopped.

I took it to a local shop that seemed knowledgable... they kicked it back, telling me the part where you plug in the power cord must be cracked. How that could crack sitting under/on my table for 20 years, and being used a handful of times in that time period is beyond me. Seems more likely that the power cord has gone bad, but I confess I know way less than the repair people do... I had to wait a week+ to get this news though and when I called to see if it was ready they told all was fine. Then I go to pick it up and I get the 'we can't fix this' speech. I was irritated.

So... I took it to an Elna dealer. 1 hour drive each way, but they seem more open to fixing it, even if it means replacing a larger part. I figure repairing it is still most likely going to cost me less than trying to find a trustworthy seller of the same type of Elna, right?

They are taking a look at it tonight, fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow.

In the meantime... I managed to pick up a FREE Singer 306. It look identical to this and is also in a table: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...item27dcab2e3d

The owner thought she had lost all the accessories (and foot pedal) but called me yesterday when she found them. Picked those up and that machine is also being looked at by the people 1 hour north of here. Hoping they can get it running, it looks like it would be a great machine. It was filthy, covered in dust, nicotine stains... but I know they can clean up really well. Hoping no one messed with the timing. Came with quite a few full bobbins, and none of them look damaged so I think it might be okay (!)

Anyway, that's my latest. I miss sewing so much. Hope you all are having fun with your machines. Thanks again for all the input on my other thread, I learned a lot.

— Rachel