View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
yroger54

Default Stuck needle bar on Singer 27

Hi,
I'm new to posting but have been lurking quite awhile trying to get through all the great information and stories on here.

I've got a 1902 Singer 27 that is all freed up except the needle bar. I have used PBlaster, tri-flow, heat, kerosene and still can't get it freed up. I tapped on the top and it lowered fairly easy. I stopped before it got down too low to have something to get a hold of on the top.

I've been trying to raise the bar back up by tapping on the bottom of the bar with a block of wood and a hammer. I've been working off and on for a month or so on this and it hasn't raised back up a bit. I can twist on the 1 1/2 or 2" below the head and can see a bit of flexing, but no other movement. It's getting frustrating, the other 27 I got at the same time and also frozen up took very little to free up and sew very well.

I suspect I'm not the first with a similar problem and would welcome any ideas to get it moving again. I haven't stood it in a bucket of kerosene yet, but I'm about to that point, it's had enough time outs I think.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Roger