Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Colorful1

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
I'm looking for a new machine and based on what I've read online (and having tried out both about a year ago) I'm trying to decide between the two. They both seem to have the features that I'm looking for. Dealer doesn't matter to me as I have to travel far for both. As this will be my last sewing machine, I'd like to make the best choice- well, I guess I'd like the best one even if it was my first machine. I can fit either into my budget.
Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that when I spend my hard-earned $ on a so-called 'higher end' machine, I expect it to perform well and dependably. I have no tolerance for built-in obsolescence (roughly 5 years) and poor/haphazard design/manufacture of it...

That said and although I don't own either machine, I owned the Janome 7700 and sold it to purchase the Juki TL2010q. The 8900 is the higher-end 7700. While I enjoyed fmqing on the Horizon 7700 and personally didn't experience problems that others had, I did not enjoy piecing on it; starting seams could be a bear, and I didn't always want to use a 'leader'. That plus the knowledge of others experiencing theirs to be a 'delicate' machine + computerized machines' built-in obsolescence were my reasons for selling it.

It also had poor visibility with its large left side of the machine head.

What I decided to replace it w ended up making the most sense for my needs & I absolutely *love* it: the straight-stitch, long bed Juki. It is such a pleasure for both FMQing and piecing. Since owning this Juki, I've come to learn about the 600 and it sounds lovely, but I've also read about enough issues that, were I in the market for such a machine, I'd wait for Juki to work out the kinks.

Have you considered the Brother machines (like the vq3000?) which are similar in price and include a pivot function?

Please keep us posted on what you decide! Good luck!

Last edited by Colorful1; 02-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.