Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Pollytink

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I am vegan and would never go back to being anything else. I changed three years ago for health reasons. Dr. Neil Barnard has a good website and articles......Not all vegan food is low calorie. Oreo for the most part are vegan. A strict vegan would not count Oreo because they contain sugar and sugar is processed using charred animal bones. Dr. Barnard has a kick start program which is free and aimed at weight loss. Here is a website to start looking at things. http://www.pcrm.org/health/ Your computer and Google will be your best friend in your journey. Message me if you want more information.
Thanks for the encouragement! I will ck out Dr. Barnard...have heard of him...he was on Dr. Oz. I checked out PETA's site too and they have a lot of info there, also found some lists of things that are vegan, e.g. frozen dinners and one of foods you'd never think were vegan---mostly snack food, point being like the Oreo, not the best vegan! The dr. recc I read two books: Forks over Knives and The China Study (both have cookbooks also) and they're pretty convincing. I've decided for now to go on a 2 week program on Dr. Oz's site that someone mentioned in a thread on Low Carb eating. I think that probably the transition will then go to vegetarian. Can still have some fish and chicken and dairy. Then work my way from there.

The dr. is a passionate vegan and after reading his resources, I'm sure his motive was not only for me to lose weight but to get healthier overall too. I did look at Weight Watchers and lost weight with them many years ago but I guess a big part of me believes I need more of a change food-wise that it seems to offer. We'll see how it goes!