View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 AM
sdparent

Magnolia--Here is what lucyinthesky posted a while ago on the puzzle quilt. I hope it helps...I too want to put this on my list I have a mildly autistic grandson.

And here's how to do it with 8.5" unfinished blocks.

I showed the first yellow piece with its individual squares, so you can count and see the size.

The rest show the pieces you would actually cut... some of the lines got lost. Look at the green one, it's all intact. Or DL the Excel sheet, it shows up better. The darker black lines shows the block outline.

So from each color (to get 1 full puzzle piece), I'm going to cut:

2 3.5 x 8.5
1 4.5 x 2.5 (middle of same block)
2 2.5 x 2.5 (for the adjacent blocks)

To put it together, I take the 4.5 x 2.5 piece, and get 2 of the 2.5 x 2.5 from different blocks (ex, if I'm making the yellow block, and have the yellow 2.5 x 4.5 piece, I take 1 orange and 1 pink 2.5 x 2.5 square)(and here I have to be careful to keep track of what goes where). I have NOT used the 2.5 x 2.5 yellow squares. One will be used in the green block, and 1 will be used in whatever is above the yellow block. Sew them together.

Then to the top and bottom, sew the 2 3.5 x 8.5 strips. Tada, puzzle block!
(Download)

I guess the excell pic didn't down load, there is a posting called puzzling, you can search for it and I think this was on page 6 or 7. Good luck!!!