View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

I would prefer that my quilts get used, and well loved. The first quilt I ever made was for my daughter when she was in grade school, and it was the only bed sized quilt I ever hand quilted. She used it growing up, then went into a black and white phase, so she asked for another quilt, but then she put away the first quilt for safekeeping. She considers it a very special quilt and has plans of giving it to our DGD Zoe when she gets a little older to be passed down since she cannot have children. The second quilt I made was made for our DS, Zoe's Dad, when he was in grade school or middle school (not sure exactly), but this quilt was machine quilted, and not hand quilted as my carpal tunnel became too painful for me to hand quilt. That quilt was on his bed all through high school, followed him when he left home, returned with him when he returned home after a major breakup, and he still has the quilt, even though the batting is nearly gone. I do, however, need to make him and our DDIL a quilt for their bed, although they have since switched to a king size bed, so I need to re-evaluate what type of quilt I will make them. I guess that was a very long-winded explanation that I make my quilts to be used, with a few exceptions - like the quilts I make for our bi-annual family reunions. However, imagine how I felt when I saw one of the very first quilts I made being used as a dog bed. I have no words.