View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
JulieR

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
As a former shop owner, but cat enjoyer, it makes me crazy when I discover a cat at a quilt shop.
If I go to the grocery store there are no cats inside.
If I go to the department store, there are no cats inside.
If I go to a mattress store there are no cats inside.
Or at a framing shop.
Or a bakery.
Or a hair salon.
Or a school.
WHY??

Because those places are BUSINESSES that serve the PUBLIC! It is bad for the bottom line to alienate a significant part of the customer base over having the owner's "darling" with her all day at the PLACE OF BUSINESS!! Duh!

Unfortunately too many quilt shops are NOT RUN by BUSINESS owners, but by hobby-ists. And too many quilt shops don't stay around long either. So sad.

Jan in VA
Actually, I have seen shop animals at almost all of those places. Locally owned shops of all kinds may keep them because they create a homey, welcoming atmosphere.

Lots of folks prefer to shop in family owned businesses and a shop animal is a good sign of that, too.

That decision doesn't make the business unprofessional or the owner a "hobbyist", or doomed to failure. I'm sure in some regions, evidently yours for one, shoppers are looking for a different experience than those in other areas, like mine. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. If you choose not to shop in places that have shop pets, then more power to you. But let's not belittle the very successful businesses that cater to a different type of customer.