View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 PM
charlottequilts

Originally Posted by SB13 View Post
How is the shop owner responsible for YOUR allergies. That is like someone going in Walmart down the candle isle, or detergent isle and suing walmart becasue you had an allergic reaction. This is as bad as the guy on the news today suing McDonalds, because they didn't give him enough napkins. For one and a half million dollars no less. At the last minute he had to throw in the race card and claim the manager said "you people". If he did, he could of meant you idiot, not race.
Well, to stay on topic ( and not bring up all sorts of spurious lawsuits), i think it can be argued that a person entering Walmart can reasonably expect that candles and other aromatic things are sold there. They can avoid them if they choose. It's also a much larger space in terms of concentration. But one does not normally expect pets in a quilt shop and may not know it until it's way too late. I don't know about legal responsibility for sure, but morally, to have caused such an incident would be very troubling. I am not talking about the "take an allergy pill and i can pet my cat" allergy. I'm talking about folks with severe asthma, and a 5-year-old that you have to check for bluish fingernails. They have to live in the world, not in isolation. And they know what to expect in Walmart or PetsMart, and know what to avoid. They don't have that expectation in a quilt shop. I would never want to be responsible, legally or morally, for that sort of distress or worse. Just because i wanted my pet with me.

JMO,
Charlotte