View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Teri D

Originally Posted by slightlyoffquilter View Post
1. Lay your batting down first on an ironing safe surface ( this is important ! )

2. Spray your starch onto the batting ! You want enough to cover the batting, but you don't want it wet. I always give one coat to the entire batting, then a small spray around the edges to make sure they are covered well.

3. Lay you backing down ontop of the batting. You could do your top first as well, it really makes no difference.

4. Smooth your backing / top down with your hands to remove any wrinkles or folds. Do not stretch it, just gently work out the bubbles. Your fabric should feel moist to the touch but not saturated !

5. Using your hot iron, press your fabric on top of the batting until it is dry ! Run your hands over the fabric to check for areas that are still damp.

6. Allow it to cool for a moment then flip it over and repeate the process for the other side ( either backing or top whichever you did not do first )

7. Double check both sides to ensure there are no bubbles or folds.

8. I always baste in the ditch even when i am using 505 or elmers to baste as i like the added security of knowing my sandwitch is held firmly in place. I set my machine to a stitch length of 7 and use a bright neon colored thread and run it along the major block seams ( just as if i was going to stitch the ditch only with very large stitches and easy to see thread ) in a grid pattern. If my quilting calls for stitching in the ditch i just go ahead and stitch the ditch instead of basting it in the thread color of my quilting.

thank you!!!!!!!!