Thread: Heating Bills
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:15 PM
auntpiggylpn

We recently moved to Michigan and our new to us house is heated by propane. 2 mos ago, we had a new tank placed and our very first fill. (500 gal) @ $2.19/gal. Since we have never had propane before, we had no idea what it would take to heat our home (3200 sqft). We have been so busy going back in forth between our old home (3 hrs away in Indiana) getting it ready to be put on the market, we never thought to check our tank. Last Saturday we checked it and we only had 5% left! We called the propane company, figuring we were going to have to pay an after hours fee. Nope, because we were told that do to the harsh winter we are having, the propane company isn't making calls after hours, holidays or weekends. I was told to call back on Monday morning and get a work order started and that it would be 5 days after until they could get to us. I called @7:55 am on Monday and they answered. I explained our situation and our ignorance about propane. I was told that it would be 3-5 days until we were filled. I explained that I had turned our heat down to 60* and wasn't using the stove or the dryer and limiting hot water and asked if we would be okay for 5 days. (I have 2 senior dogs as well). The lady told me it would be cutting it close. Lo and behold, Tuesday afternoon the propane truck backed into our driveway! I went out to the driver and told him he was my hero. He said that because we were brand new customers they had put us on the priority list. He told me what to do so we didn't get in the same situation again (and we won't !) When he filled our tank, it was at 1%! We never would have made it 5 days. We had natural gas at our old home and would choke on those bills; I think the old dogs are going to have to get jobs to help pay for our propane bills!!!