Thread: Flimsy?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I am glad someone asked the question, I had no idea either. I think it is really neat that the QB is global and we learn different terms for things. Well gotta go dial my phone and grab something from the ice box.
It's ringing, so I'll get my mobile, have my husband repair the sewing machine with a spanner and I hate standing in queues, my sons had to put on their trousers (you don't talk about pants in public) and I like jumpers (meaning, a thick heavy item of clothing that Americans call sweaters)! Our team are having a good year, and we all have got plenty of fabric in our sewing rooms.

Sometimes it does feel like we have a different language.

"Flimsy" to me makes sense. I know for us Americans, the word "flimsy" seems funny, even derogatory. But I think it rhymes with whimsy and it makes me think that a quilt top is light-hearted and cheery--so I don't mind "flimsy". But wadding to me--it makes me think of the batting that is all wadded/matted up in a corner as it all came apart in the wash. So apparently wadding has a bit different meaning in the UK. So when I read "flimsy", it makes me smile, but when I read "wadding" it makes me cringe, and I try to get over my inflexible feelings about it and educate myself and tell myself that it's okay--it's not derogatory--it's just different.