Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Cedar

Default I've been quilting for two days and I'm hooked

I've been around quilts all my life. My grandma is a very skilled quilter and I grew up going to quilt shows, looking at quilt books and magazines, sleeping with fancy quilts (my wedding quilt that I sleep with most nights took second place viewers choice in a local quilt show), and occasionally helping with fabric layout, but I never actually quilted. I was intimidated by all those straight lines! In college and high school I studied art and quickly learned that straight lines and neat clean precise style didn't work well for me. . . . . But when I was visiting this week my 10 year old niece had a quilting lesson and I joined in. While she was quilting I laid out some squares of my own and when she got board I started stitching . . . And stayed until I had the whole top together. (7x10 6 inch squares because that's the size that fit on the dining room table easy) The next day I went back to finish (envelope style and tied). There are some waves in the lines where I quilted the edge but its straighter than I thought it would be!

Now I'm eagerly planning how to work on a new project when I'm back home in Portland and away from grandmas sewing room and fabric stash. I've decided to try twin size with smaller 5 inch squares. Im interested in playing with color blends. If my math is correct I can to the top with 7 - 1/2 yard fabric pieces, which should be doable without being too $$$, but this will be my first time cutting the fabric myself so that's the first challenge.

It will be an adventure!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg