View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Dispatchgirl

Question New girl here! In need of some advice!!

Hello everyone!!
I am new here and I am a newbie quilter. I have been working on a sampler quilt from The Crafty Gemini YouTube quilt along. I have learned so much and I have found that I really enjoy quilting! I am completely YouTube and Internet taught. My job makes it difficult for me to attend any quilting classes although I would LOVE too.

This is my problem/issue: it's time for me to start my sashing in between my quilt blocks. The sashing needs to be 2 1/2 inches wide and 12 1/4 inches long (since this is how big my blocks are)

I've started cutting and I have my yardage folded in half to do long strips 2 1/2 inches wide and then I planned on cutting them down to 12 1/4 inches long. We'll the problem is that after I cut my strips and unfold them they are all crooked!!!! I'm lining everything up and Ive cut everything as straight as I can but as soon as I unfold it I find everything is crooked! I am so frustrated.

Cutting is my least favorite part and I always seem to mess it up. I've bought a GO baby cutter and it's amazing. I wish I could afford the Go! Cutter and then maybe I could get a die that could cut these strips for me! But that's not in the budget

if anybody has any tips or tricks for me I would really appreciate it

thanks!