Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Grant,

That motor housing has about had it. It won't take much more to finish breaking those cracks.
There is however an anaerobic adhesive that will glue it down very well. It's called LocTite Black Max. It's kind of like a thread locker / super glue combo and it is one great product. The only place I've been able to find it is Midway.
{ http://www.midwayusa.com/ }. Also it's really black so when you use it on the motor housing it doesn't show up.

Here's a tip. Use denatured alcohol to degrease the cracks before using the Black Max.

Joe
I agree that it is done for. I told the owner if you just wanted to display it, it would be fine. But who wants to just display it. I was able to find a replacement Singer FW for it. Thank you for the product info. I was wondering if there was something out there that could get into the cracks. It would have to be very thin to be able to work it's way into the hairline cracks here and bond with Bakelite. I would feel more comfortable replacing the endbell on it instead of repairing the original though.
But is this a common problem with the Bakelite FW motors?
~G~