Thread: Batting
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Warm and Natural - I used it for quite awhile, but no longer. It has a stiffer drape than many other battings (although it does soften up with washings). Its major plus is that it is extremely stable because it is needlepunched through scrim, so quilting lines can be as far apart as 10". Relatively difficult to hand quilt because of the scrim.

Hobbs 80/20 - My "default" batting. A good all-around choice. Has more loft than W&N and yet is lighter in weight. Good for both machine and hand quilting.

Hobbs PolyDown - A new favorite for me. Nice loft and a good choice for children's quilts that will get washed often because it dries quickly (all polyester). The loft makes it a little trickier to machine quilt, and probably to hand quilt, than 80/20.

Hobbs Wool - I have some of this but haven't actually used it in a quilt yet; eager to try out because many quilters rave about its qualities. Good for both machine and hand quilting; especially for hand quilting, shows off the quilting stitches very well. Cool in summer, warm in winter.