View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by shortfidler View Post
So please, don't be afraid of your machine. Just go for it. I have learned a lot from emb.forums and sites such as Emblibrary: Quilting and Emb. are my favorite things to do outside of reading.
I totally agree with you. When I got on this board I was only quilting but I read many threads of people who had the combo unit but were afraid of the emb part. Then I bought my first emb machine, the Viking Ruby and I promised myself that I was going to use the emb part of it. I took classes and experimented. If you don't try you'll never learn. The hardest part was when I wanted to make FSL Christmas ornaments but I wanted to use serger cone thread. It would go for a while and then it would start breaking thread so much. I never did get them finished but I did learn that if it screws up and rips your WS stabilizer, you can patch it a scrap piece of WS and some 505 spray, that was a great lesson. Then came Easter and I wanted to make the grandkids baskets, still wanted to use the serger thread but still had the problem of thread breaking constantly. I bought new thread, tried the thread in the freezer thing, thinking maybe my thread was too old or dry. Finally I read something on using a sharp needle when doing FSL and a larger needle. I got a sharp 90 and it worked great and I did about 10 baskets for my babies along with some egg holders to match. I now own a Viking Diamond Deluxe and still learning as much as possible, some in classes and most on my own but I won't give up. I paid too much for my machine to just do that. I have lots of hoops, my machine has some of the largest there are. My next thing is to learn to use the endless hoop and then the big one I just got, it stitches half of the design and then you flip the hoop around and it sews the other half of the design. That should be challenging but what satisfaction I'll get when it works. Enjoy what you do but at least try it before you give up, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have.