View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
What about attaching your foot pedal to the leg of your table so that instead of pressing it down with your foot, you are pushing it with the side of your knee / thigh ? You could use zip ties / command strips( like they use to hang hooks on the walls ) to attach so it would not be permanent or do damage to anything. Then you would just have to press your leg to the side instead of pressing with your foot.
Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
This is a BRILLIANT idea!!
That's the way the "old" machines were. I learned to sew on an old black singer in a cabinet with a knee pedal. When I got my first machine with a knee lift, I had a hard time coordinating my knee and foot to do the jobs they were supposed to do!

So, if you have a knee lift, the you would want to mount the foot pedal on the left side.
You also might discover that the pressure it takes may be harder on your knee/leg than having it on the foot.

I take you back to the earlier questions/suggestions I gave.
and will add ... What angle is your leg to your hip? your knee bend from upper to lower? and your ankle bend from lower leg to foot? Likewise for your elbow bend when sitting with your forearms flat on the sewing machine surface? Ergonomically you want them to all be closer to 90° than not.

What can help to adjust these ... chair height and/or a platform for both feet and foot pedal to be on.