Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

we have made many denim quilts over the years- my mom used to purchase whole bales of denim jeans for us to cut up for these quilts which we made (tops and backings with good lofty batting) and sold in the gift shop at the lighthouse she used to live in *park caregivers*; we cut the denim jeans into 7" squares (the largest we could consistently get) (she saved back pockets and made other quilts with those) then just pieced the squares into rows, sewed the rows together- using a 1/2" seam, pressed open. the variations in the colors/fade of the jeans created movement/design. sandwiched then straight line quilted- some in the ditch, some diagonally every 4"- sometimes when she thought my sister & I needed something to do we would do 'quilt as you go' sitting at the machine quilting each block- which she would then put together with sashing strips. the quilts were very heavy, very warm and very popular. we used a 'Sharp' needle and heavy thread (30wt) the quilts were easy- we could make 3 or 4 in a week. when the lighthouse was closed there were still people who used to 'visit' every year who still years later contact her asking if she is still making those denim quilts. denim is not difficult to work with. (we did use scissors to cut- I do not think my mom has moved on to 'rotary cutters' yet) I would think though, if you use scissors to cut away the seams- then open up the denim fabric you could cut your patches with a rotary cutter if you wanted.