Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Butterfli19

Default My new perspective on fabric, and how this is a bit unnerving

I've sewn since high school. Clothes for myself, then daughter and son, flower girl and maid-of-honor gowns for family and friends, then tiring of garments moved on to cloth dolls, then quilts, and lately curtains, bed sheets and pillowcases for my grandson's toddler bed, and a few handbags thrown in.

I love to sew. It's relaxing, therapeutic, comforting. I love making things for people and our home.

Two years ago I purged stash and am now left with one large plastic bin, 1/4 - 2 yd cuts. Looking at all this fabric, it lends itself to quilts, bags, place mats, probably doll clothes/quilts/pillows - small things - that I decided I wanted to use up before buying any more because after all these years, for me, accumulating stash is a waste of money.

The problem is, I don't want to cut it up anymore. I love what I kept and the thought of cutting it into little pieces and quilting over it is causing me great sadness. I want to see the fabric.

Looking around my house I have made curtains for my living room, kitchen, small bathroom, and grandson's room. For his toddler bed I have made two sets of sheets and four pillowcases and a puppy flannel quilt. It's the fabric I want to see, the fabric that dresses it all up and I am at a turning point because I don't think I want to quilt any more, but I still want to sew.

So my question to you is: have you ever been sewing right along and then one day you put down your needle and ask yourself if this is really what you want to do? Or do you keep sewing what you sew because of the time and money you have invested in fabric forces you to, or because you have promised so many things to so many people you just have to keep on?

If this has happened to you, how did you readjust?