Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pmonaghen View Post
I certainly don't "expect" extra..but if I purchase 2 yards...then I want 2 yard...recently purchased quilt backing..bought an extra 1/4 yard..once it was squared up...and usable..it was 1 3/4 yards...and short of what I needed...it wasn't inexpensive....but at this point totally unusable...I did call the shop...and was told to bring it and the pieces I cut to even it up...and they would replace...
holy cow! I have never seen anything that out of square, even on 108" wide back fabric. A few inches yes but never ever have I lost anything close to 18" in the squaring up process, especially on a cut as small as 2 1/4 yards. Something that crooked should have been visibly obvious right off the bolt. I would definitely be going back to the source of purchase on that one. I am actually quite shocked the person cutting didn't notice, unless it was a big box store. IMHO most of the cutters I have encountered there aren't sewers and don't understand what they are doing beyond cutting a hunk of fabric off the bolt.