Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

I see you "straightened up" your basket, Dotty
Can't remember who [Fraew???] posted a link to the pictures she took at the Bennington of the original Jane on our last thread.... one of the first posts. She said that the quilt is actually hung rotated 90 degrees so that M1 is the upper left hand corner and the basket sits upright second row up from bottom and 4th position from the left.

a Civil War Note...
for those of you wanting to make a "Civil War" Jane, please realize that the fabrics that were manufactured prior to the Civil War were amongst the brightest ever made. Jane Stickle's quilt is full of rich color. This is the fabric that was leftover in her stash. People didn't have the money to purchase new fabrics, nor was very much produced at the time. My very very dear friend somehow managed to convince me that my quilt should be 'dull' because the CW was unhappy, fabrics produced were dull.... yes those fabrics produced immediately after the CW were not nearly as rich as the ones produced earlier but if you want to make a quilt truly representative of the CW era itself, make it bright! The repro fabrics are rich in color. In fact, Brenda Papadakis worked closely with a fabric company to create fabrics close to some found in Jane and can be purchased at her site. The first few blocks I made are dull - I will leave them that way to honor my friend she is far from dull and I love her dearly.

How much fabric is needed??
most blocks can be produced with 2 charm square size pieces of print, few will require 3. There is a website -http://quilts123.comthat carries 10" squares of repro fabrics that is perfect for what you'll need. Many LQS have jelly rolls and layer cakes of repro fabrics. I have enough CW fabrics to make a few more quilts!

see you soon!
Gus