View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
cutebuns
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Originally Posted by cutebuns
Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian

How much is a can of syrop there? I can sometimes find it for around 7 or 8 bucks a can... We find that expensive for stuff that's manufactured in our back yards, lol! I can't even imagine how much they would cost elsewhere!
We used to make it, though it was in the front yard, I lived on a farm in the Orillia area growing up and the drive was lined with sugar maples and the yard had a few more (the bush had more but it was to far to carry the sap, especially since we had lots already) She did everything with it and now I have a fit when I see the prices for it. though when I was on course way back in the military in Quebec, we went to the Caban a Sucre, (I knwo the spelling is off) (Sugar Shack) and boy was it good,
Close. Cabanne à sucre. We go every year, boy is it good! Did you try 'la tire'? It's basically pure maple syrop, boiled down to evaporate a lot of the water content and then poured over cold (clean) snow so it hardens up (only a few tablespoons at a time). Then you take a popsicle stick and roll it in the little puddle so it all sticks to your stick instead of the snow and then you eat it... That's the best part of the Sugar Shack to me!
THat is one of the best things to do with it, I have pretty much had it anyway that you can, a fav way to have a bowl of it and dip fresh bread into it and eat it, we had a lot of it, jars and jars of it, Mom would make about 10 gallons a year, that is a lot of sap that we had to carry for it, and she would give it to a lot of friends as well, it was cheap to make as basically you just need the wood to keep the fire going to boil it down and then put it in containers, (I was all done outside, we had a big big pan for it that we used in the fall for corn and such. ) I love when it crystalized in the bottom and we got to pick it out,