Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 AM
IraJane

I was a Home Ec. teacher for 31 years, retiring 10 years ago this spring, first at a jr-sr high school and then at the middle school with 5th thru 8th graders. The high school had a really strong program with not only a couple years of foods and sewing classes that could be taken for 4 years, but consumer science, housing, marriage, parenting, etc.... classes. My 5th graders learned to use the machine and made a pocket wallhanging that hung on the inside of their lockers. 6th graders made a drawstring bag that most used for gym clothes. 7th graders did mostly food from scratch but also had a second class that was community service. The 7th and 8th graders worked in groups to make small pieced quilt tops, that we backed with fleece and tied, for kids we donated to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. The regular 8th grade class made a zippered gym bag. Once state wide testing got a grip on schools, they stressed those core subjects that were being tested. I worked hard to especially reinforce math at every opportunity. One of my main goals was to help children gain confidence in the area of "life". As long as I was teaching at the middle school and the high school had a trained teacher, the program at our high school continued to be strong. When that teacher left, they were unable to find a qualified teacher. Once that happened the program there was slowly dying. Once I retired and was not replaced with a qualified teacher, the middle school program died. I believe at some point future generations will again see the importance of strengthening families. My principal was in a discussion with other principals at a meeting when one questioned why we were still teaching skills since everyone eats out now. My principal's answer was in support of my program and "teaching" so they know how.