Old 03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Feathers-N-Fur

Our school district hasn't taught home ec in many years, but we have a very active 4H program. We have a 4H club for kids who want to sew clothes and another for quilters and another for cooking. Frankly, if you don't learn to do laundry at home, no class on it will be any help. I would be furious if home ec was a graduation requirement. Sewing is a hobby, not a life skill. I can buy anything ready made cheaper than I can sew it myself. Most people can tackle sewing on a button without taking home ec to figure it out. I much prefer to see my daughter taking computers 1-4, anatomy, personal finance, welding and drama, than too be forced to sew PJ pants she can buy ready made cheaper than she could make them. My son and daughter can both cook and do laundry, but neither wants to learn to sew and I see no need to force it upon them. As for why we have sports in schools, but no home ec, I know a number of kids who have gone to college on sports scholarships but none who have from cooking or sewing. In our town the school pays for the coach and the bus for the teams, the booster club and the parents pay for everything else. However, I do know of at least 2 schools in our area that offer home ec, or whatever the school calls it.