View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
dee1245

I have the same problem this winter with my thumbs. I have had this problem previously but not to this degree. The split keeps getting deeper and has peeled to the extreme all across the end of my thumb. I didn't think about the chemicals in the fabrics. I have spent a lot of time with my stash since the holidays. Always learning something new here on the Quilting Board.

As for washing your stash, I would suggest pinking the raw edges as it does cut down on fraying. It doesn't completely eliminate it but does help. I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter; what a time saver over scissors.

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Madamekelly: so sorry to hear about your awful reaction to your fabrics! I don't prewash my fabric and find that when I have been sewing for a while, my thumb skin splits on either side of the nail. I wonder after reading your post if this is caused from the chemicals in the fabric???

As to washing your stash, I would try the basting/sewing the cut edges to cut down on the fraying. Really small pieces I would use a mesh bag for.

Good luck! Wish I lived closer, I'd come over and help you wash the stash! Hope you feel better and washing the fabric helps clear up your hands.

Anita

Last edited by dee1245; 03-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.