Old 03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
dee1245

Originally Posted by Tumdarra View Post
I was in school in the 60's up in Manitoba and we had home ec. Half the year was sewing and half the year was cooking. I must agree with most of you we made the most hideous things. We had to make an apron and top out of gingham, a dress with long sleeves and zipper, blouse with collar and buttons. But the cooking class I loved, 4 kids to a group and we had our own little kitchen area with stove etc. was great and we put out some good food
I also had High School Home Ec in the early 60s. We dis cooking and sewing, a semester of each. My first garment was a straight skirt with kick-pleat and a high shaped waistband. Made from a plaid flannel. Loved that skirt. Still have the pattern, just wish it still fit. LOL. Now they don't have Home Ec. They moved sewing and shop classes to the middle school. My 3 boys had to take sewing. They made a small pillow top with an embroidery design. Also learned to do a seams and buttons. I'm sure the girls had to take shop, too. Too bad that they don't offer it anymore as I am sure that there would be plenty of students sign up for it. I went to a sewing and quilt expo in the fall. They had a fashion show of young girls, 10years old being the youngest, modeling their fashions.WOW! Couldn't believe the work. Most were with a 4H group. I live in a rural area about 50 miles south of Chicago.

Last edited by dee1245; 03-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.