Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Kristi.G

I have no idea if it is taught around here - I don't have kids, and I didn't grow up around here so have no connections to the schools. I suspect that it is still offered at the small rural Idaho school I attended in the '70s though (I graduated in 1980).

HE was not a requirement when I was in school though, even back then, and I never took it. The school was so small that many of the non-academic classes were offered during the same period so you had to pick your classes based on what was most important to you. I was in things like band and drama, which I believe were at the same time as HE. I also just didn't feel the need to take it, because I learned that stuff at home. I was first taught to sew by a friend's mom when I was about 6. Her mom sat down with me, her and her little sister (one year younger) and taught us with a little project - we used some of her scraps of really glitzy fabric to make little clutches. Such a funny project for kids our age, but it was super easy, and it made us feel really grown up, so it was actually perfect! And my grandmothers both sewed, and my mom did a little, so I always had access to a machine. I joined 4-H when I was old enough, and learned more sewing there (Junior High age or so). So by the time I was in HS, and could take HE, I had been sewing for a while. I sewed a lot of my clothes in HS and college. Back then, it was often because I could have a really cool outfit that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise (things are different now, when it comes to cost!).

My brother, who was 3 years ahead of me in school, took a boys HE class called Bachelor Living. They sewed a t-shirt and a beanbag frog. I think he enjoyed it, but has never done any of that since. However, my mom is trying to get rid of stuff, and suggested to me recently that she might give him one of the sewing machines. I wouldn't be surprised if he took her up on the offer. (I am going to lobby for her giving me the old treadle machine and he can have the other one.