Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Lizard

My daughters middle school (south Texas) has home ec and she's in the advanced class, which is apparently not easy to get into. The high school doesn't have home ec, but they have FCCLA (used to be Future Homemakers of America) and she debates that. Otherwise they have various "endorsements" they can do. Everything from Fashion design, Medical technologies, and she's signed up for STEM. It's not compulsory (son refuses to do any of them, he'll have a "regular" diploma) but it helps prep them for future careers/colleges and so forth.

Anyway, she entered the county fair here a few weeks ago and out of five things she submitted, all but one won a blue ribbon for first or second. She liked it, but she isn't sure she would do it again. The Advanced Home Ec class is required to enter the county fair (the five items) on top of their other projects.She felt a bit of pressure and thinks she just wants to hang out with me and make stuff she likes/wants to make, when she wants to make it. I'm ok with that

That said, both of my kids have had some sort of Home Ec type class (they ran through all the electives during the 6th grade in my sons old school so they could decide what they liked and pick one or two when they got to 7th grade) but they've learned the bulk of what they know from me. I was bound and determined to not end up with those fresh young adults who leave the house and are at a loss to even make themselves a meal that didn't come from a box or flying out a drive through window.