Thread: Fabric prices
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Skratchie

We have two Joann's - one that is small and one that is larger. The quilting fabric is pretty blah at both of them. I do buy Kona cottons there (and use my coupons for them), but otherwise ... I don't really like the look of most of what they carry, and what I do think is pretty feels really rough. I always look, though. Last week I saw some autumn fabric ... it was all cheap feeling, and a lot of it was glittery (why, oh why do manufacturers think we want a lot of glittery holiday fabric?!). Then I stepped around to the other side and there were several patriotic fabrics - cheap feeling (when I say cheap feeling, I mean so rough you could use it to exfoliate your face) and tons of glitter. I have better luck at Hancock's but their prices are usually in the $12/yd range too.

Like I said, I CAN afford to shop locally and buy the more expensive fabrics, so I know I'm really lucky. And I know we're luckier than most of the rest of the world because fabric in other countries is really expensive. I do throw business to my locals, because I believe in them and want them to succeed, but the owner's taste isn't really the same as mine, so they have a lot of fabrics I wouldn't buy (I am not a fan of batiks, but apparently the owners of my local ARE) and I end up on the internet a lot buying fabric. But, since I am buying from smaller shops much of the time there, too, I am pretty happy about it. I'd rather give my money to smaller companies like Fat Quarter Shop and Fabric.com than Joann's or Hancock's, because it's cheaper and the quality is better.