View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM
mpspeedy2

Zozee, I hope you enjoyed the quilt expo with or without the baby. Because of your posts I knew it was there and my husband graciously went with me on Friday. The exhibit of early 20th century quilts was wonderful. I was surprised to see that they seemed to be all machine quilted. The patterns they were made from were like seeing old friends. I am mostly a hand quilter so I was not impressed with the many booths selling long arm machines. I did run into a number of my quilting friends. A guild I used to belong to had a booth selling chances on their raffle quilt. When they asked me to purchase a chance I told them the same thing I told everyone else selling chances. I have more than a trunk full of my own making. Ironically I won a raffle quilt from another guild a year or so ago. It is king size and not anywhere near my color scheme. My bed is only queen size and the quilt is to big for my bed. It is lovely and I will probably end up donating it to another group as a raffle prize. I already own six sewing machines. That number includes two stand alone embroidery machines, one a Bernina and the other a Brother. A Singer Featherweight, A Bernina serger and two Berina sewing machines. I neither have the money or space for another machine, especially not a long arm. I ran into a number of friends from another guild I used to belong to. I found out where I could donate children's special pillowcases in my local area. They had an exhibit there concerning that project. I will confess that I ended up not purchasing anything. The only thing I saw that I wanted was a pattern for a child's quilt. They didn't seem to have one available at the booth that was displaying it. I was amazed at the price of the kits. I know that $75 for a kit that included both all the fabric needed and the pattern is probably par for the course at most quilt shops these days. Since most of my quilts end up with the Linus Project I can't afford to spend that much money for one. I do most of my fabric shopping at JoAnns in their discounted area. Hope you enjoyed yourself.