View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 PM
maviskw

There are so many ways to cook potatoes, and most of them will freeze well after the potatoes are cooked.
I freeze scalloped potatoes and mashed potatoes. I mash my potatoes as usual (with milk) and put french onion soup mix in them or sour cream and onion. They taste wonderful. You can also make them this way and warm them the next day for pot lucks or big family parties.

Here are two recipes I found in our church cookbook:
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes: 5 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed; 2 (3oz.) packages cream cheese; 8 ounces sour cream; 1/2 c. milk; 2 tsp. onion salt; black pepper to taste.
Cook potatoes until tender; drain and mash. Add other ingredients and put into large casserole dish. Then bake or store for several days in fridge. Bake for 50 min. in 325 degree oven. (Or remove from refrigerator, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and bake as above.)

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes: 3 lbs. russet (Idaho) potatoes: scrub but do not peel; 1 1/2 c. half and half; salt to taste; 6 T. butter. Cook potatoes until tender. Heat half and half. Process unpeeled potatoes through a fool mill. Mash well. Add salt and and half and half and beat until smooth and fluffy. Cool and refrigerate up to 2 days. 30 min. before serving, microwave until warm. Stir in butter. Set over simmering water to keep warm until serving time.

Last edited by maviskw; 03-10-2014 at 02:43 PM.