View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 AM
nana2

Growing up in Benton, AR in the mist of WWII feed sacks were an important source of fabrics for our family. They were very pretty and I think it took 3 sacks to make a child's dress. My family also used them for pillow cases which in those days were starched an ironed. Of course there were lots of quilts made from these feed sacks. Then there were flour sacks, coffee sacks, sugar sacks. The flour sacks, for 25lbs, were used to make bed sheets.(The flour had been used to make biscuits every morning and of course the cakes, pie crusts, etc. These all had flat felt seams joining four sacks. Some of the flour sacks were used for dish drying cloths. In fact I still have some of these that my mother made a few years ago. She had saved these sacks for years, then one day just sat down and started getting them hemmed up for dish cloths. I love them. After coffee was no longer in sacks it came in big square glass jars which were,, when emptied, saved to store the sugar which no longer came in sacks.

Enjoy your feed sacks. They represent (to Me) a time when life was not so rushed and a time when people were very careful to make use of things that were available. In WWII things were hard to come by and families were very ingenious to utilize everything to its fullest. I hope our recycle system today will help our future generations.