Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Friday1961

Default Finished Quilt was: request for suggestions on sashing, borders, flange

Well, I did it. And I followed the advice of several here who said: "It's your quilt, do what you like and think best." That's perhaps the best advice we get here and I'm very grateful for it. And, I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out.

Thinking about the comments here that the white on white I had was too stark a contrast, I went looking for something with a little more cream. Instead I found this WOW, which I couldn't resist because the vine and leaves in it mimic the vine and leaves in the print fabric. The "white" is the same tone as the original that I auditioned for sashing, so, while I didn't go more "stark" I didn't go less, either. But when I got it all sewn together, I decided I like it a lot. It picks up the white vine in the print fabric nicely, I think. And I really love the vine and leaves pattern in the WOW; it makes me happy every time I look at it.

I included the orange flange, too--this was an experiment, after all--but am not sure that it adds all that much to the quilt. It was difficult and frustrating to get the flange even all the way around, so I may not be using a flange on many future quilts!

I had to go to a Jo-Ann's in Frisco -- 25 miles away -- to get enough of the brown to make the borders but considered myself lucky to find it at all, since it's last year's fabric and apparently discontinued.

This quilt finished at about 81x100. Not sure how I'll quilt it -- or get it quilted, since it may be more than I'm willing to wrestle with on my Brother 450Q. Nor have I chosen a backing. But, meanwhile, the top is done, I like it, and I hope some of you do, too. My 13 year old grandson saw the finished product last night and said (with some wonder, I thought ), "It looks really good, Mema!"

I thank all of you again for your suggestions, comments, and interest in this project!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]467006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]467007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02141.jpg   dsc02143.jpg   dsc02138.jpg  

Last edited by Friday1961; 03-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.