Thread: Seam Allowance
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM
ReRe

Okay ... time for one of "those" questions from a baby quilter (not quite 2 years). I've read a lot about using 1/4 inch and scant 1/4 inch seam allowances and rarely have I seen 1/8 inch and 1/2 inch. My question is this .... what real difference does it make? I can see a difference in some of the more detailed patterns but if you make allowances when cutting out your fabric wouldn't a 1/2 inch seam allowance work just as well as a 1/4 inch? And what is all this about ironing to the dark side versus ironing open? Does it really matter? Once again, I can understand ironing to the dark side so you don't create a shadow but can't you just as easy iron open ... especially if you used a 1/2 inch seam allowance? I have a hard enough time keeping my seam allowance straight and 1/2 inch is much better for me than 1/4 inch. I cut the blocks for a 5 patch last night and added enough extra to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Is this another one of those "whatever works best for me" things.
I can't say thanks enough for all that I have learned from reading the posts on hear and I know that I will get several responses to my questions today and not a single one will make me feel like a dummy. I do that well enough all by myself. :lol:
'Nother question ... If I want to desplay a picture underneath my name whenever I post, how do I do that?
Take a look at this good looking young man. And NO, he does NOT drink and smoke ... we were just setting it up for him to send to some friends he made in Canada. We call it Redneck Kyle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-59981.jpe