View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Dolphyngyrl

I made sure I had a long ruler mine is 5.5x18(personally I have not cared for the 6x24, recently got one, I find it more awkward to use), the june tailor shape cut, and a good decent sized mat( I used my 23x23 June tailor mat), and a 45mm olfa rotary cutter were my starter tools, I also acquired gingher scissors too. A good beginner machine is a must, however I would not start off with anything too basic or you might outgrow it too fast( I have a brother XL-3010 with very limited adjustments, upgraded to an XL-3500i, and then upgraded that to a SQ-9050 which is now my class machine). Any other small items like specialty rulers, needle threaders, stilettos, etc. I aquired over time. For basic sewing machines try to get ones with adjustable stitch width and length, needle down position, that has a basic zigzag and blanket stitch for applique, drop feed for FMQ, adjustable needle position. If it were me and you want a good machine that you can grow into that won't break the bank but is more sturdy and has most features you will need, I would look at the brother PC-420 off of amazon for around $400. This machine is more heavy duty than most low end machines like the ones I listed above but has a lot of high end features without putting a lot of money into it. Than you can learn what you really want in a higher machine. Brothers are easy to learn and to me from reviews have the best written manuals even on the low end side their manuals are really well done. This hobby is addicting so have fun

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 03-14-2014 at 07:30 AM.