View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Ok have to admit I never knew what it would cost to start quilting. My husband and I live on a limited income since we retired. My sister taught me to sew and she let me use a lot of her tools for my first quilt. I brought things for myself as I went along. Once I had all the basic tools, and a sewing machine, the cost to quilt has only been dependent on what material I want to buy. I have been slowly building my stash over the past couple of years.
I knew I could never afford to have a professional quilt my quilts so I taught myself to do free-motion quilting on my basic sewing machine. I am still not where I would like to be but getting there. It takes practice, practice, practice and I am still perfecting my technique.
I think any price is worth the pleasure I personally get out of making a quilt for myself or someone I love.
I oil paint and also do stained glass work, they too can be expensive hobbies but like I said, I can't put a price on the satisfaction I get making something beautiful.