View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
mpspeedy2

Unhappy Quilt show and shopping

I have just returned from what I thought would be a wonderful weekend of quilt related stuff shopping. My husband and I had reservations for a dinner theater that we had to postpone because of the weather. Our anniversary was on March 5 but we moved it to the 14th so I could do some shopping in Amish country around Lancaster, PA. My husband went on line and pulled up the addresses etc. of at least 44 shops that supposedly sold fabric or other quilt related items in the area around Lancaster County, PA. We used our GPS to locate a number of the shops that I had never yet visited. Much to our disappointment all but one of them were out of business. Many no longer had any signs and their phones had been disconnected. It looks as though many of the names and addresses came from the yellow pages on line. We ended up going to the National Quilt show being held at the Lancaster Convention Center. Again I was disappointed. There was a quilt I saw at the Sewing and Quilt Expo last weekend in Hunt Valley, MD that they didn't have a pattern for even though they were displaying it as if they did. With three floors of quilts and vendors I didn't find that pattern anywhere. As a hand quilter I mark my own quilts. The only vendor selling quilting stencils was someone who used a special pouncer that they invented or at least patented. They had wonderful stencils but they would not work without the pouncer. No sale there. I also noticed that like the Expo last weekend the vendors biggest drive was to sell longarm machines, supplies and accessories. On the way home this morning we stopped at that old stand by Sauders and I spent $108 on fabric. They have wonderful prices and sell bolts as well as flat folds etc. We decided to try one more shop that was on the list my husband downloaded. It was located in Hershey, PA. Of course it also no longer existed. When I called the phone number the recording said it had been disconnected. Just wondering if anyone else had similar stories.