Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
My charity quilts are not a business to me....I just make, give, not on a regular basis, just if I am in the mood so maybe that is the difference....
making 'charity quilts' is really not a {business} for any of us- but, when you donate a lot to charitable foundations- whether it is quilts or checks a percentage of your donations are tax deductible- you are allowed a certain percentage of your net income to be used for charity- and if you itemize your taxes those deductions can help *and they add up over a year* ; so, if you send a $25 check to the American Lung Association, one to Breast Cancer research, one to St. Judes, make a quilt for 'linus project' (valued *cost of materials =$50) you have $125 in tax deductible donations...if over the year you 'give' 4 or 5 quilts the deduction's really add up- so, it has nothing to do with making 'charity a business' if has to do with planning for taxes each year. really doesn't make a difference if its cash, quilts, food, what your donations is- as long as it is to legitimate charities.