Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

What I think is so stupid is Home Ec is so much a part of math and science. A friend of mine taught Home Ec. and she fought to keep it in the school where she taught. Home Ec improved and made sense to the students who applied those skills to their math and vice versa. One of the first things she did was to teach her students quilting with cutting the angles just right for the right patterns. Her Home Ec students excelled in their math and science skills. Those who did poorly in math and science at the beginning of the year were Acing by the end of the term. Some of them got awards for most improved students. The quilts weren't large but blocks chosen had different degrees of angles. In cooking the students learned the consequences of mixing different spices and condiments and vinegar and baking soda (caustic effects). Home Ec (a.k.a. ?) is an interaction of science and math. Let's not forget the arts. Design of placing angles, nutrition interacts with PE. Stamina for the body to perform.

Last edited by tessagin; 03-16-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: I mean stupid they don't bringit back.