Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM
KenmoreRulesAll

Default Free-Westinghouse LZ

Glenn and Sharon, thanks very much. It looked nice under that coating of dirt, lint, cobwebs, and smoker's haze. (The thickness of that coating probably protected the finish.) I doubt the machine has sewn in decades but it started right up and the light works.

As for the innards, I'll probably use a toothbrush and oil to begin, wiping out the grimy oil as I go using paper towels and Q-tips. I've read that this is one way to clean sewing machines. Some of the joints between moving parts may need some kerosene (? -- not sure about that). I don't (yet) detect any frozen parts and the handwheel moves very freely and keeps moving after I give it a quick turn. It is, however, filthy. It must have been a spider hotel.

After I posted the pictures, I realized I had forgotten to re-attach one of the coolest parts of the machine (well, cool to me): the bobbin winder thread guide that is a collar piece on the shaft of the handwheel. I'm not sure what it's called but I'll post another picture soon.

Thanks again!

P.S. You can call me Ken. It's not my real name but it's easier to type.

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 03-16-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Forgot something!