View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
That sure does look like my treadle. We are just cleaning up the cabinet and fixing broken wood parts and staining the wood and just cleaning the treadle - no paint. The top veneer is gone off the cabinet, but we aren't replacing it. Just staining the existing wood. Has worm holes in it - kind of gives it character.

I am new to vintage machines. What is Two Spool?
Two spool is a type of sewing machine that was unique to Eldridge where a small but regular spool of thread was used instead of a bobbin. If you ran out of thread you simply switched out spools, no bobbin winding. Eldridge was bought by National and they continued the two spool design for a while. The machines are desirable to collectors and I don't think all that many were made though I'm not sure if they qualify as rare. Maybe someone else will chime in with better info. The Eldridge irons I've seen so far have Eldridge cast into them so I think your cabinet is the National version instead. Your cabinet wouldn't be nearly as common as a Singer or White cabinet so to me it's worthwhile to keep it intact.
Rodney