View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
ArchaicArcane

Hi everyone! Thanks for the responses! This gives me a lot to think about.
I picked a OTR microwave at random on one of the store sites and looked at the dimensions. Taking those to the kitchen and extrapolating it looks like the MW would be about 4.5" above the backsplash of the stove. This would also put the turn table at roughly chin height for me. Does this seem too high? I think the one I have in the quilting studio is about the same height. (I put my back out again though so I've been told I shouldn't be waddling downstairs to check it out for sure. )

I'm curious, why do the OTR units require more cleaning? Is it the bottom because of splashes from the stove?

Thanks for the warning Lisa_wanna_B_Quilter. We had a Danby for 2 hours that was the same. It also wasn't capable of cooking anything, just making horrible noises. I will definitely do some research on brands before we go ahead.

SkyAngel, thanks for the info on the height. I always wondered. I will try to figure out what sort of height requirements we have. We don't can, and I have a range in the studio that I use for proofing bread and such, but I've never really paid attention to height constraints on the stove. The microwave in the studio is in the cupboard like what you describe, but cupboard space is at as much of a premium upstairs as counter space is, and the cupboards are original, so no kit for it without changing the whole thing out.

We had considered if we were going to get an OTR MW that we would be getting an extended warranty. So far as far as appliances go, they've paid for themselves - Washer, Range and Dishwasher all have had service calls within the warranty period, with the DW being replaced.

Irishrose - I wonder if maybe the price divide isn't as bad as I thought. We were going to get the MW from Futureshop (owned by BestBuy - DH has a gift card from work to cover a lot of the cost) and their site has 20 OTR units for me to choose from in that price range. I was really surprised by that. 10 of them are in the sub $300 range, which is around what I expected a $200 unit in the US to be. Why would you prefer no turntable? I've always found them to be more even in the heating, what's the benefit of no turntable? Oh! Large square dishes?

Pam B, I think you're in the same boat we are.