View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by liese View Post
However the last one I bought is a corner microwave and fits beautifully under my corner cabinet. Cost $150. Leaves me with plenty of counter space!
I've never seen one of these, what brand is it by chance?

Originally Posted by redbreast View Post
when we really looked at it, it was much too large --did not fit into my kitchen, etc. We took it down and the holes are still there where he tried to put it in.Kitchen is small and the microwave overpowered everything. For me, bad idea!
What was it that was too large? Did it stick out too far? it just seemed like it was a huge appliance in your face? (That's my concern) Was it flush with the cupboards or did it stick out further?

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
I have an over the range one that is a General Electric. This is my second one. I like it, but a repairman told me years ago that the over the range ones don't last as long as the free standing. It gets too much heat and grime from the cooking on the stove top. I had no choice but to put the over the range. I didn't have space for the free standing.
this is interesting. I wouldn't have thought that it would matter about the heat. The grime I get, but if you'd seen the inside of this microwave because it's low enough that the biggest splatter offender doesn't ever see the splatter, you'd think it was a toxic dump sometimes. You know it's bad when I refuse to put cat food in it.

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Recently a high school student boiled two cups of water for senior science project. She watered one somewhat identical plant with water boiled on the stove and the other plant with boiled in the microwave. In ten days, the plant watered with the microwaved water was dead. If this is what happens to water, what about other foods. Something to think about.
This was debunked by both Mythbusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...his_at_Home.3F) and Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp) I hear this every few years, but unless you put the water on the plants hot, it really shouldn't make a difference. In fact, in the Mythbusters episode, the microwave water plant did better than the regular water plant.

Here's the mythbuster's episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSSbD-AoA8 it starts at about 2minutes 10 seconds and is about 3 and a half minutes long.

Anecdotally, We've been making, freezing and thawing in the microwave food for our cats for about a year and a half. Even the kitty with kidney disease has put on healthy weight since we started doing it.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
A dear friend of mine had one over the stove and she's about 5'5". Not real tall but not short. She was about eye/chin level. What was in the mw had stuck a little to the turntable and she got burnt in the face. Required facial burn care. Her husband got rid of the mw and put another on the counter. He felt so horrible because he insisted on the one above the stove. I'm sticking to the countertop unless a built in at chest/shoulder level.
Wow. That would be horrible! How is she doing now?

Originally Posted by callen View Post
I now have an OTR microwave & the only thing that causes me some worry is if you were to drop something coming out of the MW onto the stove. My range has the glass top so I do worry about that. I am also 5'2" & find it just a tad high for me. Prior to our kitchen reno, my DH had made me an oak shelf that was just above the back splash of the counter & my MW fit perfectly on it. I honestly liked that better BUT you know how you get talked into "get with the program" & modernize so the decision was made for the OTR unit. It's an LG & so far, absolutely no problems.
We have a glass top too. How do you like yours? I honestly don't like them. They take too long to heat up and cool down. I'd rather cook in our trailer with the gas stove. I do completely get what you're saying about the possibility of dropping a plate though, and it bears considering. The cupboards over the counters are low enough that there's only about 4 - 5 inches above the microwave at the moment, so in our case, a shelf wouldn't work unfortunately.